The rules of the road are established for the safety of all road users. Whether pedestrian or driver, young or old, male or female, we all have to obey these rules. When these rules are broken it usually carry punishment attached to them. Fines are a conventional means of punishing traffic offenders. Here are some common traffic violations that attract penalties.
Common Traffic Violations
- Swerving suddenly: When there is a need to turn or switch lanes, some drivers don’t wait for the designated points for such action. Instead, they turn or swerve wherever they spot space.
- Not leaving sufficient space between vehicles: There is an appropriate amount of distance required to be maintained between vehicles on the road. This distance creates a “wiggle room” in case of an emergency. Some drivers completely disregard the safety of themselves and others and drive in close proximity to other vehicles.
- Not wearing seat belts: Seat belts are made to keep drivers and passengers safe. Not wearing your seat belt is a sign of an irresponsible driver or passenger. Such behavior has no place on the road.
- Disobeying traffic signal: Traffic signals control, direct and regulate the movement of all vehicles. The signs ensure an orderly road organization and violating these signs can lead to accidents which result in fatal casualties.
- Driving at night without traffic light: Driving at night with no traffic light is a dangerous act. This is because indicators are required to show other drivers the path which you intend to follow or the action which you intend to take.
Ways to Avoid Them
- Suddenly swerving endangers not only the driver and passengers but also other road users. Ensure all turns are undertaken at appropriate allocations with proper signaling.
- Not leaving an adequate distance between vehicles creates panic in case of an emergency. Ensure you maintain an appropriate distance between your car and other cars.
- Seat belts are installed for driver and passenger safety. Ensure that either as a driver or a passenger, you fasten your seat belt.
- Disobeying traffic signals is a serious offense as it creates panic among other drivers and endangers other road users, including pedestrians. Ensure that all traffic signs are adhered to accordingly.
Absence of traffic light can cause confusion that can lead to a fatal accident. If the indicator light is damaged, it should be repaired immediately, or a new one should be installed. This ensures that all actions the driver intends to take are clear to other drivers.